U.S. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has prolonged been one of the largest champions of specific rights in Congress, and his reintroduction of the Protection of Atmosphere and Home Act more solidifies that standing. In accordance to a assertion from Paul’s place of work, the legislation “restores common feeling to federal water policy by redefining ‘navigable waters,’ excluding ephemeral or intermittent streams from federal jurisdiction, and restraining the energy the Environmental Safety Company and the Military Corps of Engineers maintain over American landowners.”
Fundamentally, he’s hoping to get federal government off the backs of farmers and landowners.
Earlier iterations of this invoice have been introduced just before lawmakers, particularly in 2019, 2015, and 2012. Democrats and environmental teams this kind of as The Wildlife Culture have typically pushed back again against this type of laws.
The Defense of Environment and Home Act of 2021:
- Defines “navigable waters” as “navigable-in-point, or long-lasting, standing, or continually flowing bodies of water that type geographical capabilities frequently acknowledged as streams, oceans, rivers, and lakes that are connected to waters that are navigable-in-fact”
- Clarifies the jurisdiction of the EPA and Corps of Engineers
- States that “ground water” is state drinking water and not to be regarded as in asserting Federal jurisdiction
- Prohibits the use of a “significant nexus test”
- Prohibits the EPA and Corps of Engineers from generating new rules defining “navigable waters” or increasing or interpreting the definition of “navigable waters” until expressly licensed by Congress.
“While some would have us consider we can only safeguard the natural environment by supplying the federal federal government additional management about Americans’ lives, my bill displays we can act although nonetheless respecting Americans’ private home legal rights and the Constitution’s restrictions on federal energy,” mentioned Paul. “Kentucky’s farmers and coal business experienced when the Obama administration implemented its burdensome WOTUS rule. However the Trump administration changed that rule, we know the new Biden administration will undoubtedly attempt to return us to an unworkable scenario all over again. That’s why it is now a lot more vital than at any time to make an precise transform to the regulation to correct the dilemma, and protect our land and a must have industries.”
U.S. Rep. David Rouzer (R-NC) options to introduce companion laws in the U.S. Property. The Senate variation of the bill is cosponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Ted Cruz (R-TX).
“I’m happy to help this legislation by Senator Rand Paul that makes sure no bureaucrat in Washington can dictate what our farm families, small firms, regional governments, and citizens can do on their property just after a considerable rainfall. This invoice solidifies the clarity furnished by the Trump Administration’s Navigable Waters Defense Rule and helps prevent the EPA from reimposing extremely burdensome and avoidable laws that would negatively effect our farm families, job creators and communities,” Rouzer mentioned.
You can browse the Protection of Atmosphere and House Act in its entirety below.